1998 New Beetle AC Troubleshoot

Hi. Haven't been in the group for a few years since I got rid of my old A2 Jetta. But I'm back. My daughter just bought a used 1998 New Beetle.

Car runs like a top, but a couple of afternoons ago, she reported a noise that came and went that sounded like scraping something with a power drill.

Not so coincidentally, the air conditioner has quit working. The compressor is not engaging. I wasn't sure whether it was a low- pressure opening of the pressure switch, or a failure of the clutch, or something more serious with the compressor itself.

Working without the benefit of a Bentley, I took connector off the pressure switch and was dismayed to find four contacts. I bridged them around and got the fans to turn on, but never heard a peep out of the compressor clutch. Don't know if I didn't bridge the right two contacts or if I found a bad clutch.

Anyway, thought I'd post in case this sounded like a familiar failure scenario for the NB. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

And if worse comes to worse, is Germanautoparts.com still a good online source?

Thanks, Marcus

Reply to
Marcus

Are the fans working???? The A/C compressor clutch is controled by the fan control module. These are a fairly common failure. If you had NOID lights for testing fuel injectors you can plug one into the compressor clutch connector to see if its being powered up. If not check the wiring from the connector to the fan control module. There is a connector mid way in the harness between these two that is on top of the tranny near the battery tray. This connector can corrode or wires break at this location. Check all your fuses.

Reply to
Craig

Yep. I could make the fans turn on and off by jumping things around in the connector. I'll see if the clutch is getting the signal. Thanks.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus

Reply to
Madesio

Trouble shooting the A/C system on your Beetle can be a little tricky due to fact that there are so many different things can cause a compressor not to engage. Since it doesn't quite sound like you know what your 're doing.. it's time to stop right there before you cause any further damage to your vehicle. You don't even have a manual in hand and you're just jumping wires?

Reply to
Madesio