1998 New Beetle Reverse Shift Problems

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. I have a 1998 new beetle, manual transmission, with about 47k miles. Recently its developed a problem where its difficult to find the reverse gear. All other gears are fine, it just seems that there are times when the reverse lockout is keeping me "locked-out". I can't even push down on the shifter.

In the situations where I can't find reverse gear, I usually have to go through all other gears and then try and find the reverse gear. Or wait until the car decides to let me go in reverse. The problem usually happens when I've first started the car.

I've had a mechanic look at the problem and I don't think they could duplicate the problem. They said the shift linkage looks fine.

I appreciate any insight people may have. Thanks.

-Brennan

Reply to
Brennan O'Reilly

Sounds like the shift linkage is out of adjustment or came loose. E-mail me and will send back a picture which may help.

Reply to
Woodchuck