1998 VW Jetta won't start - no fire, no gas

Just bought a 1998 VW Jetta a week ago, really like it but tonight it will not start - just whirls and whirls - had our mechanic come by and is getting no fire and no gas - he is suspicious it could be something to do with the security - alarm system? I do not have an owners manual, if it is something that simple I would sure appreciate some help! Started fine til now - Kids did have the keyless entry and locked, unlocked the doors - maybe they pushed something else? Help!

Reply to
eroulston

you can rule out the alarm, because it wouldn't crank over.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Whirls would be a word that might be used for a starter spinning without the engine turning over, but I expect the mechanic would have figured that out.

I don't know what might shut off gas and spark, but would let the engine crank. A fuse or two? That speculation is not based on actual knowledge.

Try locking the driver's door with the key, and then unlocking with the key.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Stock alarm system and a 2.0L engine?

Timing Belt Broke!

Have your mechanic check that out!

Donations cheerfully accepted! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Got if fixed - was ignition coil - thanks to all for advice! Eleanor

Reply to
eroulston

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1174481049.518639.289120 @y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Had the exact same thing happen to my 1998 Golf. After the ignition coil was replaced, also noticed a related corrosion problem with the ignition cables. Under wet weather conditions, was still getting the occasional misfire which could escalate into trouble starting.

So you might want to check those cables, either coat them with a spray (e.g. silicone spray) or just replace them along with spark plugs.

Reply to
Jem Berkes

I feel an urge to state the obvious: the bad coil was not preventing gas from getting to the cylinders.

Reply to
Tom's VR6