1999.5 Golf Antenna Aerial - options

Hello all

1999.5 Golf TDI... The antenna has seen better days, so I removed it tonight (explained why FM would be good one day, and staticy on some stations the next)

Are there aftermarket options for maybe better reception, just stick with a VW one, or what about those Honda aerials (from the S2000 I think) that make it stubby.... I don't like Honda much, but i've seen their mini aerials on VW's and it looks good... Don't know if it would make reception worse tho, as it's a smaller antenna.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Some if not all have amplified bases on the antenna. They run off 12 volts that's on the signal wire of the coax cable. What ever antenna you use must match the raio.

JoBo.

Reply to
Jo Bo

Do you mean the whip has seen better days, or do you mean the base has seen better days? You can replace that whip. Mine had a broken center wire, and it was held together by the rubber. I bought a replacement whip at the dealer.

Also, if you get crackle as you flex the base, there can be a problem with the ground connection at the base. I fixed that by tightening the big nut under the roof metal about 1/4 turn. I suspect that my nut was easier to access because I could access the back of the headliner from the hatch.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I just went to the dealer - they gave me a free antenna - yes the whip, my base was fine.

I was told $36 for the part from the dealer local to where I work.... glad I went to my dealer close to home, where they know me... free is always good :-)

Reply to
Rob Guenther