1999 Passat 1.8T temp gauge problems

Hi,

Hi, The temp gauge on my Passat is irratic, sometimes it'll go to half and then fall back to zero, other times it won't shift at all. Coupelled with that an aweful fuel eco of 22mpg.

A few people have suggested the two probs could be linked. I've been told to replace the temp sender unit and see if that cures the temperate guage problem. I can't afford to slap the car back into a garage so wanna replace it myself. Question is where abouts will it be located? Any advice that'll help me sort this problem out would be appreciated. Any link to a forum/web site with this info would help alot. Thx.

S.

Reply to
Soul

There is a procedure for this in the Audi tech info at:

From there, go to the "Engine" link and then to "A4"; the first item on the list is replacement of the coolant temp sensor for a 1.8T. This should be pretty much the same for your VW.

EK

Reply to
Eric K.