1999 Passat Wiper "rest position" is wrong

Hi, I've got a 1999 Passat. When the wipers are shut off, they stop in the "up" position - the far left side of their normal travel. (I believe newer Passats have a way to put the blades into the "up" position for maintenance, but this year allegedly does not.)

Any idea what the problem might be? I assume there's a position sensor either in the wiper motor or on the mechanism, but it doesn't exactly make sense why it would be 180 degrees out of whack (instead of failing entirely, and having the stop position be random.)

I had this same problem when the car was only a few months old, but unfortunately I can't find the records from that dealership visit to see how they fixed it. (and since it was under warranty, I'm not sure that I would trust their fix as the one I would do now...)

Thanks for any advice,

-Mike

Reply to
mikep7777

maybe the nuts on the wiper arms came loose. Common when owners use them for snow shovels.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I think you're on the right track but that wouldn't do it. my money is on a similar mechanical connection on the wiper motor.

nate

Lost > maybe the nuts on the wiper arms came loose. Common when owners use them for

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks, Nate, that makes sense...

It occurred to me earlier today that regardless of whether or not that was the cause, it could certainly be a fix - detach the wiper mechanism from the motor, rotate the blades down, and hook it back together.

Reply to
mikep7777