1999 VW Passat turning noises

I just noticed that my 1999 VW Passat 1.8T at 79,000 miles started making a small cracking, screaching noise when i turn my steering wheel to the left. I hear the noise (i think) coming from the right side.

Any ideas what it might be, please send any help to snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

thanks

Reply to
Jgund

Ranked approximately by cost. However, B & D are directly life-threatening. C could be life threatening depending on circumstances. A less so, but least likely.

A. You hope it is: a) Low tire pressure. b) Dry strut bearing c) Coil spring not liking the cold d) Low power-steering fluid

B. Next least worst: a) Tie rod ends. b) Ball joints

C. Next least worst: a) Bad strut(s) b) Bad power-steering pump

D. Worst: a) Bad axle (CV Joints) b) Bad steering rack

Without actually hearing the noise, it is hard to diagnose from afar. If the cracking is more a groaning it would indicate one thing, if it is more a rumble it would indicate another... and so forth. At 79,000 miles and without any further history of the vehicle.... creampuff or beater or something between... it could be almost anything.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

That sounds like ....

Oops, I was going to post, but I expect you got your answers via email.

Reply to
Tom's VR6