2.0L Fuel Economy

Hey Everyone,

Is the 2.0l really a gas-guzzler? I mean, tonight, I filled it up and made a round trip of about 268 kms, and when I got back home, I had a 1/4 of a tank left. The entire trip was made at 120 km/h and the A/C was on for a while, but not the whole trip.

The car (2003 New Beetle w/ Automatic tranny) has about 3500 kms on it at the moment....will fuel economy get better, or is this what I have to expect?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I have a 03 Golf 2.0 sport auto and at around 120kph it drinks about 8 litres per 100 kays. or about 1/2 what you experienced. Aircon makes little difference. I Know the Beetles are not as efficient as the Golfs - especially above

100kph but the figures you quote seem rather excessive - it could be that the fuel guage is not working right. Try a controled test - fill the car up to bowser cut-off level drive for as near as you can exactly 200 kms and refill it to the same level.

Then you'll have an accurate picture. This is my 2nd 2.0 Golf and after

3500 ks it won't get any better. They do tend to be a bit heavy on juice around town but on a highway/freeway run, they are quite thrifty.

Also depends on the fuel to an extent. Here in Perth Western Australia I run it on premium unleaded - with little to no Ethanol content. In the country - where premium is scarce - regular unleaded tends to get drunk faster.

If it's only got 3500 kms on iy you should still be under warranty - if after your controlled test it is still sucking petrol at that alarming rate - take it back!

John Cordier Perth Australia

Reply to
John Cordier

My 10-year old 2.0l Golf still gets around 30mpg (7.8 l/100km) mixed,

35mpg highway (6.7 l/100km). They are known to be quite frugal.

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

FWIW, I recently made a 600 mile round trip to Houston, TX, in my 95 Golf 2.0 5 speed, mostly interstate driving, at 70-75 mph with the A/C on the whole time and got 32.5 mpg.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

I get about 30mph in combined driving.

2003 Jetta with 2.0l motor.

psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

My 2003 golf 2.0 liter auto gets about 500 km's on a full tank. Freeway driving , no air.

Now my wife's 2002 jetta 2.0 liter auto gets around 420 km's all around town, no freeway , no air.

Reply to
nosmo