20,000 mile service $$$ Alternatives in St. Louis?

I bought my 2003 Jetta TDI close to the end of 2003. Just rolled over the 20,000 mile mark so I called Dean Team VW in Kirkwood, MO to schedule service.

I was expecting around $200. Boy! Was I wrong. It is going to be $400! The 40,000 is nearly $650.

Does anyone know of a place in Saint Louis, Mo that can take 20,000 miles Scheduled maint list, perform it, mark it (where VW has to honor it) but not charge an arm and 2 legs?

Tim McBride aka "Numan" Saint Louis, MO

Reply to
Numan

Get used to it. All dealerships charge that much, and not just Volkswagen. My Buick scheduled maintenance service charges are higher than that. Labor rates go up every year, just like your paycheck. My income, on the other hand, has not increased since 1990. I'm retired.

Reply to
Papa

it is a VW so .. yes that is normal I think it is a good deal not too bad.

Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian

Make a distinction between the car manufacturers recommendations and the dealers. Many dealers, not just VW, come up with recommendations in addition to manufacturers.

That said,

This is what VW says to do @ 20k miles for your car: Items to be serviced: Engine Oil - change Engine Filter - change Timing Belt - check Water Separator - drain Fuel Filter - replace Windshield Washer Fluid - check level Automatic Shift Lock - check operation Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level Wheels - rotate from front to rear Air Bag System - check function/damage Battery - check electrolyte level Engine - check for leaks Pollen Filter - replace Cooling System - check level Transmission - check for leaks Tires/Spare - check condition Driveshaft - check boots On Board Diagnostics - check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory Door Hinge - lube Headlights - check and adjust if necessary Exhaust System - check for damage and leaks Sunroof Frame - clean and lubricate Road Test - check system functions during and after

$400 is not out of line since most diag cost about $90. and if the dealer does a good job, it's fair and equitable.

BUT . . some dealers don't and many of the checks can be done by you.

If you're not mechanically minded and somewhat nervous, this is honestly fair and okay.

Good luck.

Reply to
Diarmud387

This is exactly what I was going to recommend...Get to know your car and do some or all of it yourself. If you keep good records, then car manufacturers will generally allow you to do some or all of your service and will protect your warranty.

Check to be sure, of course.

Reply to
<HLS