2000 Golf - Steering wheel crooked?

My 2000 Golf has 49,000 miles on it. Today I noticed the steering wheel was about 10 degrees to the left when I am going straight. I never noticed it before, so I presume it is a recent development. The tire inflation is normal, and I haven't hit any potholes recently that I noticed.

Is it likely to be anything other that a front end adjustment problem? How critical is it to fix? (will it do anything other than wear the tires irregularly?)

Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

This is by design so that drivers won't tend to drift into the oncoming lane but rather off onto the shoulder to the right in case you aren't paying attention to the road but are only holding the steering wheel exactly straight.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

So it have been like that for 4 years and I never noticed!?!? Talk about not pay attention... thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Off center steering wheel may be caused by, worn parts, belt problems within tires, never noticed it before(?), but personally I think it's time for an alignment especially if one hasn't been done in the last year. Over time the suspension settles and the align can go out of spec.

Reply to
Woodchuck