2000 GTI 1.8T - When to Replace Timing Belt?

I had my 2000 GTI 1.8T in for its 60K miles service two weeks ago, and the dealer said that it was time to replace my timing belt. The maintenance part of the owner's manual says that the timing belt on this car should be good to

105K miles (if I read it right). Who's right on this?
Reply to
Adam

If you are the first owner then the belt should be covered by the

100,000mile 10year warranty! So if it breaks, it's a FREE repair-but your stuck with the inconvience of a tow truck and being out of the car for awhile. I usually tell owners to do the replacement around 80,000 miles since we see most break after that. And when the belt breaks it will bend the valves.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Adam wrote in news:HwpEc.79444$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:

Hi,

The timing belt replacement on the 20 valve 1.8 on the Golf, Passat, Audi A3 and Audo A4, and others needs to be replaced after 4 years.

Doesn't matter what the mileage is, it is based on time.

I had to replace the belt on my 4 year old Golf last year and it only had

60000kms (37000 miles) on it.

If the belt breaks, then you will practically need to replace the engine.

MK

Reply to
MK

Do you have anything "in print" for the time thingie from VW or Audi?

Reply to
Lost In Space

"Lost In Space" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

It says 4 years or 100000kms (60000 miles) in the service manual. I spoke to the national VW service number here in Australia and they said there was some "service bulletin" stating that 4 years was the time to change the belt.

It sounds like you have similar feeling to me about this - not wanting to hand over extra $$$$ to the dealer ahead of time!

Sorry I couldn;t give you better news.

MK

Reply to
MK