2000 Jetta Service Questions

Hello and Happy New Year to all

I have a 2000 Jetta 2.0L A4 that needs a timing belt changed. My Jetta has

92,000 miles on it currently. What should something like this cost to have replaced? How often are these supposed to be replace? Is this something that can be done by someone with a little mechanical experience?

What is the best service manual someone could buy to work on this vehicle? Is the only place to buy parts at the dealership? And finally, what mileage can I run on this thing before it just won't go anymore? Thanks in advance for any or all answers.

Reply to
Bob

I don't know about your car but most are between $200 and $700. Get the water pump replaced at the same time.

Check your owner's manual. It should be there.

Maybe a bit more than a little.

The Bentley. The other ones available from the parts stores Haynes and Chiltron (sorry about the spelling) may be better for most people however as they don't assume you know a lot to start with, but they don't cover as many details.

No. There are on-line locations and many parts are available at local auto parts stores. Some parts are likely best bought at the dealer.

With proper care you may get 500,000 or more. Most don't make it due to accidents and rust.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It will run until the belt breaks and the valves bend! If you do the t-belt then replace the tensioner pulley too. It's not that hard to do with a Bentley manual.

Reply to
Woodchuck

While your at it I would replace the clutch too.

Reply to
Strudelsmith

Nah. VW clutches go forever (I have a '91 GTI with 177K miles and still the original clutch). if the clutch isn't slipping, don't bother. Can always do it later.

Reply to
Matt B.

Why if it's not slipping?

Reply to