2000 Jetta TDI no start

Wife was driving on highway and noticed that car seemed to lacking power ie would not go over 100kph, about 5km later the engine stopped. I was right behind so tried to restart but battery did not have enough power to crank over engine. Charged up battery..engine turns over fine but will not fire. I am assuming alternator is probably reason for dead battery..any ideas why it appears not to be getting fuel

Reply to
hardi

Jack

I've had a similar problem, mine was a frozen, stuck throttle body.

Reply to
Warren Abrey

An update to my no-starting problem. I hauled the car into the dealer and after some checking they determined that either the engine went out of time or some carbon stuck under a valve. In any event a piston contacted one of the valves causing extensive damage. One of the valves broke off caused a piston to break, bent a con rod and ruined the head. Had to replace the engine..it only had 173000km on it.

Reply to
hardi

A timing belt could slip on a new TDI engine with only 100 miles on it...

Reply to
Peter Parker