2000 Jetta w/manual shift problem

I have a Jetta that suddenly won't allow me to shift into 1st 2nd or reverse. Can shift to 3rd 4th and 5th. Any idea what could be causing this problem and any idea what it might cost to get fixed? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Just a simple guess would be that you have an alignment problem in your linkage, or the synchros are blown on it?

Just my guess.. I don't know much but I'll tell you what I think!

-Larry

for

Just for fun, when I first bought my '89, the third gear synchro was broken. Cracked into 3 pieces. Don't ask how, the previous owner said it made a zipping sound when shifting into third. It still work although it was pretty ugly sounding.

"Losing" 3 gears is probably linkage.

Whatever you do, don't try to drive starting in 3rd.

Sounds like you have a linkage problem and I would look real closes at things where the cables connect on top of the trans. I would find it very odd to have internal problems since you lost "3" gears!

for

OK... thanks everyone for your suggestions...second question....would you go to a dealer or would you try to find an independant to resolve this problem?

this

Goes to the dealer as it will be cheaper in a long run. Let's just say you stop at an independent shop and they find you need some shifter parts. Well around here the independent shop boys buy the parts at some discount from the dealer but they must mart the part up to make a profit which usually ends to be higher than the dealer list price! OUCH. Also consider you problem may still be covered by VW's warranty depending on what's wrong...

advance

Thanks for all the responses to my post. Here is how my issue was resolved.

Took car to dealer for repair. (actually had it towed). Dealer adjusted and lubed linkage for no charge. Shift problem resolved. Noticed oil filler cap was missing before car went to dealer. Dealer gave me a new oil filler cap at no charge.

So needless to say, my wallet is breathing a sigh of relief!!

for

|Thanks for all the responses to my post. Here is how my issue was resolved. | |Took car to dealer for repair. (actually had it towed). |Dealer adjusted and lubed linkage for no charge. Shift problem resolved. |Noticed oil filler cap was missing before car went to dealer. Dealer gave me |a new oil filler cap at no charge.

Wow! Your dealer is not adhering to VW company mandate re "Servicing" the customer! If found out, he will be in deep doodoo!

So where is this unenlightened dealership? Rex in Fort Worth