2000 Jetta w/manual shift problem

Threaded View
I have a Jetta that suddenly won't allow me to shift into 1st 2nd or
reverse. Can shift to 3rd 4th and 5th. Any idea what could be causing this
problem and any idea what it might cost to get fixed? Thanks in advance for
any responses.

Re: 2000 Jetta w/manual shift problem
Just a simple guess would be that you have an alignment problem in your
linkage, or the synchros are blown on it?

Just my guess.. I don't know much but I'll tell you what I think!

-Larry

for

Re: 2000 Jetta w/manual shift problem
Just for fun, when I first bought my '89, the third gear synchro was
broken.  Cracked into 3 pieces.  Don't ask how, the previous owner
said it made a zipping sound when shifting into third.  It still work
although it was pretty ugly sounding.

"Losing" 3 gears is probably linkage.

Whatever you do, don't try to drive starting in 3rd.

Re: 2000 Jetta w/manual shift problem
Sounds like you have a linkage problem and I would look real closes at
things where the cables connect on top of the trans. I would find it very
odd to have internal problems since you lost "3" gears!

for

Re: 2000 Jetta w/manual shift problem
OK... thanks everyone for your suggestions...second question....would you go
to a dealer or would you try to find an independant to resolve this problem?
this

Re: 2000 Jetta w/manual shift problem
Goes to the dealer as it will be cheaper in a long run. Let's just say you
stop at an independent shop and they find you need some shifter parts. Well
around here the independent shop boys buy the parts at some discount from
the dealer but they must mart the part up to make a profit which usually
ends to be higher than the dealer list price! OUCH. Also consider you
problem may still be covered by VW's warranty depending on what's wrong...

go
problem?
very
advance

Re: 2000 Jetta w/manual shift problem - Resolution
Thanks for all the responses to my post. Here is how my issue was resolved.

Took car to dealer for repair. (actually had it towed).
Dealer adjusted and lubed linkage for no charge. Shift problem resolved.
Noticed oil filler cap was missing before car went to dealer. Dealer gave me
a new oil filler cap at no charge.

So needless to say, my wallet is breathing a sigh of relief!!

for

Re: 2000 Jetta w/manual shift problem - Resolution

|Thanks for all the responses to my post. Here is how my issue was resolved.
|
|Took car to dealer for repair. (actually had it towed).
|Dealer adjusted and lubed linkage for no charge. Shift problem resolved.
|Noticed oil filler cap was missing before car went to dealer. Dealer gave me
|a new oil filler cap at no charge.

Wow!  Your dealer is not adhering to VW company mandate re "Servicing" the
customer!  If found out, he will be in deep doodoo!

So where is this unenlightened dealership?
Rex in Fort Worth