2000 New Beetle purchase

O.K - be gentle with me... I'm seriously considering a 2000 model, New Beetle... 55000 miles ... GLS turbo. Price tag is 11,000.00 . It is Cyber Green. Sun roof... leather... very nice. I like the ride, but when I went "car shopping" this wasn't even on my list of things to look at! Now that I've had it for the weekend I'm pretty well hooked. BUT - I'm wondering if someone who has a New Beetle as a daily driver would give me some pros and cons. Most of the time it would be just me driving to work and back. Sometimes the family (4 of us).

I love VW products. I've owned old buses, campers and currently own a '74 SunBug Vert... so I'm no stranger to the oldies... but wondering if the Beetle will suit me for next 5-8 years or so!

Thanks a bunch! Robin

Reply to
Terry Thompson

I use a New Beetle for my daily driver and love it. However I seldom have anyone in the back seat. My last car was a Miata and I never missed the back seat. However as noted, the back seat can fit two adults in reasonable comfort, it would be a little tight for a long trip and I really hate two doors when I use the back seat.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Robin, As others have stated, the Beetle is a tough car for four grown adults. My father has pretty much the same car you're looking at, and I, at 5'7" hate riding in the back seat of this car, even for an hour. A jetta or especially a Passat is a much better choice for a family, especially if you want to be able to use it for trips. So, depending on your kid's age, rear seat and trunk space would be a major consideration for me, in your shoes. Good luck, Jed

Reply to
Jed Sheckler

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have a 2000 NB with 55,000 miles. It is very difficult to work on. I couldn't even replace the headlights. The owners manual says to take it to the dealer to replace lights. I was able to replace the rear brake pads, but it was more difficult than any other car I have ever owned (make a tool and twist at the same time as you push with a c-clamp to compress calipers). My window regulators have broken three times (on two windows), the gas flap actuator (I forget the name of it) broke. The radio stopped playing. the window switches broke and the "soft touch" coating on the emergency brake and door handles is coming off. There have been many other ""little things" that have broken. I am not hard on this car. It is peppy and cute and comfortable. Just wanted to give you some more things to think about.

Thanks, Jen

Reply to
Aquarijen

I'm seriously considering a 2000 model, New

Sounds almost identical to the one I just bought a month ago....pd $16k but it only had 33k miles on it...all the bells and whistles, etc. Even has "Y2K Bug" detailed really small by the mirrors. :D Turbo, too. LOVE IT!

I like the ride, but when I went

Yep, I test drove mine and bought it that night. We had a Dodge Durango and the MPG was unbelievably looooow. Husband took my Passat and I got me a Bugster!

BUT - I'm wondering if

I love mine....if it's just you most of the time, it gets good MPG and it's zippy. I have a 6'2" husband and he fits better in *my* driver's seat than in our '99 Passat, no kidding!

We only have one kidlet, a 4.5 year old, and he fits fine in the back. Even with all three of us occasionally driving it on the weekends, we all fit in pretty nicely.

Now, even with two little kids, I think you'd be fine (if it's not hours and hours every day commuting). I don't have to deal with baby equipment like strollers and diaper bags, don't know where you are there. If the kids are say, 10+ years old each, I think it *might* work if you all don't have to commute for hours at a time.

Long trips....well, let's just say we're driving from Tulsa to Atlanta in the Passat. Two words: Trunk Room. :) I'm going to miss my car, tho. :(

If it's going to be just you mostly, I'm biased, but I'd say go for it if you like it!

Good luck....I really love mine, I feel like a kid again!

Melody new owner of '00 Cyber Green New Beetle (fmr. owner, '74 Orange Super Beetle)

Reply to
Steel Magnolia

We just bought a 2003 Beetle GLS with ESP, Luxury Package, Monsoon Stereo and have had it for a week.....not a bad little car, I mean, in terms of trunk space, it's not the most capable car, but passenger room isn't to bad...I'm 6'3" and the backseat isn't bad, I just slouch down a little. We have the 2.0L engine and it is pretty decent. One point of caution....since about 96 gallons of oil were used to make all the plastic for you car, you are bound to get some rattles and creaks from the vehicle. I am disappointed with the car in the respect. It has already been back to the dealer for a creaking glovebox, and I think at it's 8,000 kilometer service, I will get the sunroof checked over, as it seems to creak in it's frame. The handling of the car isn't bad......I mean, it doesn't handle like my '90 Jetta, which seems to be a nicer road car, compared to the Beetle, but I am not driving the Beetle that much, so it doesn't really matter. In short, I wouldn't be hesitant about buying the Beetle you describe, as they are a fun, happy car to drive.......but any car that has a bud vase as standard equipment is just not for me....I'll take my old Jetta anyday.....

Reply to
Peter Cressman

"Terry Thompson" wrote

Can't help with the NB question, sorry ... do you have pics of your Sunbug online?

Reply to
xfile