2000 Passat Battery

The battery on my 2000 Passat V6 Wagon appears to have lost its luster. Guess 3 1/2 years on a OEM battery is about it.

I've always had good luck with Sears Diehard batteries. Yeah, I've had a few bad ones along the way, too, but they've always just popped a new one in.

I was going to go for the top of the line Gold which carries a 3 year full replacement (100 month prorated) warranty. (I only pay attention to the full replacement period since the prorated portion provides only a limited credit towards a new one.) Unfortunately I'm told that the only batter that will fit / work for this car is a special model called International. This special battery is more expensive ($100 versus $80 for the Gold) and has only a 1 1/2 full replacement period.

Is this true? Is the Passat battery a non-standard size? I know it's in a non-standard location, but it looks like a pretty standard battery to me.

Reply to
TL

Skip Sears and buy an Optima. Then forget about being concerned with your battery.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Walmart has the Jetta battery for about $50 with a 1 year warranty (I think).

Reply to
nada

Does the Passat take a Group 47 battery (my Golf does, maybe also the NB and Jetta)? The group 47 can be a "higher priced" battery, though as the previous poster noted, there are inexpensive ones at Walmart, maybe others.

Anyone know whether another size battery will fit? It looks like the battery blanket/jacket is quite a bit larger size than the group 47 battery, perhaps a "wider" battery with same mounting would also fit? Height would seem to be an issue, since it has the battery top fuses, but maybe there is another that will fit (maybe the Group 42 battery I used to have in my GTI and Scirocco?...probably more available and maybe less expensive, or else can get larger capacity for same price?)

--------- Tom Flynn '78 Scirocco (sold 1988) '86 GTI (sold 2000) '00 Golf 2.0 I speak only for myself

Reply to
Tom Flynn

Thanks for the various input.

FYI, I checked with two different dealers in my local area. Each said that various components needed to be reprogrammed as we've discussed here. However the price differences are amazing.

VW Dealer 1: $99 for battery and $50 installation and reprogramming VW Dealer 2: $109 for battery and $98 installation and reprogramming

Reply to
TL

What reprogramming? Local parts stores, AutoZone and similar should have matching batteries for around $80. Installation takes about 5 minutes. I think pretty much anyone can do it (unless perhaps you have serious back problems).

If you are worried about losing radio stations and automatic seat settings (I did not lose them during my last install), you can run a couple of temporary wires from the battery you are replacing (assuming it is not dead yet).

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

I think this reprogramming thing is a dealer scam. I've disconnected my battery a few times to change headlight bulbs, work on the engine, etc., and the only thing that ever happened was my trip odometer zeroed out.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

See the earlier post. Both dealers report that besides the simple radio code stuff, they are potential issues with the throttle body and possibly the airbag sensor. The second dealer said that the airbags are operational, but that the warning light on the dash frequently stays on until the computer is reset after a battery change. Others have suggested (including one of the dealers) that I *might* not run into these problems and that sometimes they work themselves out after several starts / drives in the car. Confusing to say the least.

Reply to
TL

Does make you wonder, though the primary dealer I go to has always been honest and straightforward. In fact, since he was booked for a week or two, he suggested that I just install the battery myself, and come in for the reprogramming if i encounter problems. They say is impossible to predict if there will be a problem or not.

Reply to
TL

Dealer SCAM? Well when we do a warranty repair that requires the battery to be disconnected VW PAYS for restoring power! Makes you wonder don't it... as I don't think VW just wants to toss money to the shops if it's not a required task.

Reply to
Woodchuck

How about a cigarette lighter battery charger to provide some juice while the battery is disconnected?

Just insulate a battery post while changing batteries.

90 something bucks for this?

PS - get an optima for that kind of cash.

google your battery group size and I'll bet there's an Optima that will fit of higher capacity.

Reply to
AH

On the microscopic chance that you do have throttle -- or other problems rarely seen but often mentioned by VW dealers -- find another VW owner with VAG-COM software and a laptop to reset things to normal.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Actually what I'm probably going to do is follow the suggestion of my dealer. Buy the battery. Put it in. If you have problems, then bring it to us and we'll do the reprogramming. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Reply to
TL