2000 Passat, clutch, too short?

I am buying a used Passat. Everything is great, except the cluth. Not sure if it is just this car.

I drove a 70's Jetta before, I have to push the cluth all the way down. The gear box on Jetta (both 2000 and 1978) is so bad that I can not shift into first or 2nd without force.

The Passat is superb. Grear box does not give much fiction at all. Smooth. But the passat's clutch is so short that I only pushed little then I can shift. This is really bad to start at upward slope, because the engage point (half first gear) will be impossible to find.

Is it just this car or all passat is like that?

How could I to change the clutch to longer?

Reply to
Asker

Are you saying the "grab" point of the clutch is really high (almost top of clutch travel)? My jetta grabs fairly high, but it's a new clutch. I've also driven a few vws and all of them (that had oem clutches) grabbed really high.

If you know how to drive standard (which I assume you do), you should have no problem finding the friction point, it may take some adjusting for you to get it right on.

Reply to
McScratchy

My old Jetta (Chinese made, using Jetta's 70's/80's style) 's grab point is really low. My leg is not long. I had to extend my full leg to make a shift. This 2000 passat's point is tooo high, and heavy. It is pretty hard to push the pad so hard in force but push so little in distance to find the grab point.

And I think Jetta's gear box is a POS. Passat is smoth. Not sure why VW does not use the quality gear box.

Reply to
Asker

That's normal, as long as there is no clutch slippage.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck