2000 Passat getting weird

Hi,

I have a 2000 Passat GLX wagon 2.0 V6. It's been doing weird things lately. Here are some examples:

a. The power window buttons sometimes work in the opposite way. That is, I have to press "open" in order for the window to close.

b. The feature that allows me to open or close all the windows by turing the key in the door lock no longer happens. Also, when I would unlock the door with the key, it used to disable the alarm. Now, the door unlocks, but the alarm stays active. Thus, if the battery on my remote keyless entry goes dead, I would still not be able to drive the car even if I had the actual key.

c. When leaving the car turned off and no key in the ignition, the door locks would remain as they were (either locked or unlocked). Now, if I walk away with the doors unlocked, after about 60 seconds, the doors lock on their own and the alarm is set. This doesn't happen always - only sometimes. This new "feature" is particularly annoying, since it's resulted in my keys/wallet getting locked in the car. I had to go home to get my second set of keys.

Otherwise, I'm not getting any engine warning displayed on the dashboard.

Any advice on these perplexing symptoms?

Thanks, AABob

Reply to
montadmail

Two groups that you might want to join that deal with Passats.

The Passats group on Yahoo.

just send an email to " snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com" Or the VW Passat group on Yahoo. snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

I would venture to say that you have a problem with wiring at the doors. The wires sometimes break inside of the harness between the door and the body. Or the microswitch is bad. There is a write-up on

that might help

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

You have a defective driver door locking unit.

Reply to
Madesio

Would replacing the door lock module will also require resetting some codes in the car's computer or reprogramming the keys?

Thanks, AABob

Reply to
montadmail

No.