2000 Passat - loud creaking noise

Hi,

My V6 Passat recently started making a loud creaking/squeaking noise. It's coming from the front, behind the engine somewhere. It only happens when the car rocks front to back, as in stopping or accelerating. If I get out and rock the car with my hands (pushing front to back), I can create the noise. Rocking the car side to side does not produce that noise.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks! AABob

Reply to
Bob

Hi,

My V6 Passat recently started making a loud creaking/squeaking noise. It's coming from the front, behind the engine somewhere. It only happens when the car rocks front to back, as in stopping or accelerating. If I get out and rock the car with my hands (pushing front to back), I can create the noise. Rocking the car side to side does not produce that noise.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks! AABob

Reply to
Bob

In no particular order:

Engine/Transaxle mount Strut bearing Strut(s) Muffler flex-joint Heat-shield

Perhaps put the car up on ramps (parking brake + chocking the back wheels) so someone could rock it and you could listen underneath (safely).

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw