2000 Passat rear brake pads

Recently purchased a set of rear brake pads at the dealership but was warned by the parts person that you can damage the calipers if you don't have the special tool to compress the piston in the caliper to allow the new pads to fit. Something about the the pistons being in spiral grooves. Is there anything special that I should know about replacing the pads on the rear of a 2000 Passat? thanks,

Reply to
gary-in-sacramento

Yes you need a tool that turns the piston while pushing it in. Try sears for a universal kit as a lot of other cars are the same. GM for one.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks, I'll chk it out.

Reply to
gary-in-sacramento

Sounds similar to my old Saab - remove pads, rotate piston to retract - I found a pin spanner worked perfectly.

gary-> Recently purchased a set of rear brake pads at the dealership but was

Reply to
Dominic Ostrowski

Any parts store has a universal tool for this. It is a cube about 1.25" on a side, with each face having a different type of pegs to grip various piston types. The center is made to fit a 3/8" ratchet. Pick the side that fits your piston, attach ratchet, and screw it in (righty-tighty). If your pads are very thin, you may have to exert some pressure with the palm of your hand against the ratchet head to start the threads.

|| ||

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Thanks to everyone who helped. I'll pick up 1 of those tools this weekend.

Reply to
gary-in-sacramento

Many auto stores will lend you a kit if you just place a deposit. Even if you did not buy pads there! You "buy" the kit with the understanding that you will return it for refund.

Reply to
Tom's VR6