2000 Passat Secondary air pump

2000 1.8T with 68,000 has had 3 replacement pumps an now needing a 4th. Current one has lasted only 10, 000 mi. Is this normal?

WVK

Reply to
WVK

No it's not normal! The common MISTAKE made by the repair person isn't replacing the combi valve on the cylinder head too. What happens is the valve hangs open some and condensation (water) from combustion get forced back into the pump causing a failure. Or the pump suction line is cracked/broken and pulling water in from rain, snow, etc!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks,

The service Mgr is telling me that I must be driving though high water (which I haven't) which ruins the low mounted pump. Is that explanation plausable? WVK

Reply to
WVK

only if you drive through 12" deep water. But then again the pump is sealed well. I stand by my first idea, if none of the plastic lines are cracked and seal well, especially at the pump... then it's the combi valve.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks again,

They claim that internal "VW Tech" says your analysis is incorrect and l insist that somehow I have flooded out 4 pumps" (without drowning the entire engine/car?) by driving in high water and they are not paying. Of course they are full of BS as your analysis is confirmed here (and I havent been driving in high water):

"In the case of a failed secondary air pump, the actual cause is frequently not found in the pump itself but instead in a sticking non-return valve between secondary air pump & exhaust manifold for example. For this reason in the case of a failure all components togeather must be checked"

They will be happy to repair for another $700.00! Shouldn't this covered by the emmisions warrantee?

Should I bend over on this? (Clear Lake VW in Houston)

Tkx WVK

Reply to
WVK