2000 Passat Steering Groan

We have a 2000 Passat V6 Wagon with about 48,000 miles. Recently it started making a kind of groaning sound when turning the wheel. It doesn't happened all the time and *appears* to happen more often when turning the wheel when stopped (like parking) than in normal driving. It groans as you turn the wheel. It's not a noise at the lock point.

I need to bring the car in for servicing soon anyway, but has anyone got an idea of what this might be?

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
TL

If he is lucky. Time to do a steering rack test in a parking lot.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I have a 1999 1.8T Passat that's got the same problem. The suspension groans when I turn the wheel or go over a bump. From what I understand, it's a known issue with these cars - the control arm bushings go bad at around 40K miles & most people just put up with it instead of going to the considerable expense of replacing them. VWOA doesn't consider it a recall item. :(

Here are a few links...

?t=25943&highlight=suspension+groan

Reply to
rob

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that Audi is replacing the A4 control arms free. And since the Audi A4 and the B5 Passat have the same front suspension...it seems like VW ought to jump up and do the right thing.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

VW doing the right thing ? Ha ha ha...

It took them only 4-5 years to get the Window regulators straight.

They did not officially recalled non-failed ignition coils yet.

This is exactly the reason why their sales are down 20% this year.

Reply to
Alex

An update on my original note. I just spoke with the dealer to set up an appointment and described this groan from the steering. I referred to the note here and asked whether this was a known problem. He said that it was with the 1999 and earlier, but that the 2000 and later had a different set up that solved the problem.

He agrees that whatever might cause this noise is "probably" covered under my extended warranty. We'll see.

I can't get >I have a 1999 1.8T Passat that's got the same problem. The suspension groans

Reply to
TL