2000 Passat V6 Power Steering hose - similar experiences?

Hi,

I took our car in to the VW dealer to have an oil leak diagnosed - as my local mech recommended, as it could just be a valve cover gasket covered under warranty. I didn't take the time to get under the hood myself.

The dealer says that the leak is p/s fluid, and is coming from the pressure hose (on the V6, this is a long hose routed around the engine compartment, it has hard line at the ends, but a flex hose in the middle). They checked the unions etc. and say the leak is definitely coming from the middle of the hose somewhere. The hose is about $200, not including labor.

My question to the group is whether folks know of any TSBs that cover this...is this a design issue? The car is three years old...hose damage like this could happen if we hit something, which is fine. However, I am guessing that the failure could have been caused by fatigue or chaffing on a mounting bracket, or even improper routing at assembly.

Although I don't want to shell out a bunch of money to the dealer, I need the car fixed, and I'm sure they'll fix it right. However, if there's a TSB, or a known issue that VWOA might help pay for, I really need to know about it. I am not expecting the service rep to mention it, since I know it creates more paperwork for them.

Again, this is the V6, hose/brackets are different for the 1.8T and 2L. Also, I need to consider only the B5 body style since things are probably different for the pre- '99 Passats.

Please help if you know of any issues, or have had problems! Post here, or email me directly (remove the capital letters in email address)

Thanks very much in advance, Arthur

2000 Passat 4-motion sedan : 2.8L V6 auto
Reply to
Arthur Russell

You're not going to like what I say, but I have never replaced that hose yet on any B5 Passat's 1.8t or V6's. And as of this week there are no TSB's. "Design issue"... why does everyone think if it breaks it a design issue? BTW I personally own a 99 B5 V6 and have no p/s leaks at 47,000 miles...

Good luck

Reply to
Woodchuck

I've replaced 1 power steering hose on a Passat, 1.8T a couple of years ago, so what you have is far from being a "design issue". The window regulators in J/B/G's were design issues, as were the Beru coils being used in the 1.8T engines. But there are no known issues with the power steering hoses.....

However, someth> Hi,

Reply to
Pencilneck

I have no problem with what you said! I think my post was far from "assuming there was a design issue". In fact, all I did was ask the group if anyone had heard of one...I think it's a reasonable question, and I think this is the right place to ask.

So, two responses, neither suggests that my failure is anything more than incidental damage etc. That's fine.

Thanks for the replies, Arthur

Woodchuck wrote:

Reply to
Arthur Russell

My 1999 Passat GLS V6 also had some power steering fluid issues...

Less than a year after I bought it, the fluid level had dropped to an extremely low level (groaning noises when turning the wheel). I brought it in, and was told that the fluid was low, and that it appeared to be due to bad clamps. They were replaced at no charge.

Later (I don't recall when, but the warranty was up) the same thing happened, only this time, they said that the hose was broken. I got a good deal on fixing it, as they had sort of screwed me on an earlier service. They didn't mention anything about this being common, or not common.

Just the other day, I was checking my oil before a long road trip and the PS fluid is low AGAIN! For the record, There are no spots on my garage floor or on my parking space at work. I have pretty much accepted the fact that the fluid goes SOMEWHERE, and keep a bottle of the appropriate replacement on hand at all times.

SLH

Reply to
Stephen Hewes

ONLY $200 not including labor!? You are getting a great deal!! Lets not forget that this hose was designed by German Engineers and will be installed by German Factory Trained Technicians. Your VW is relatively young, just wait until you need to replace the alternator (probably in another couple of months). That's when you'll really be crying and your love of VWs will turn to bitter, all-consuming wrath. Get use to the feeling of shelling lots of money out to the dealer, why not make it less painful and just give the dealer your credit card number to keep on file and make periodic withdrawals.

Reply to
Bob F.

The power steering fluid in my 98 Passat 1.8T went low one day. Since replenishing the fluid, it doesn't seem to have leaked anymore. I only drive 2 or 3 times a week and each time I moved the car, I checked and there was no residue on the ground.

So it's a mystery as to where/when it leaked. I don't check the power steering fluid as often as I check engine oil. I guess I'll monitor it more often from now on.

--jc

Reply to
Juey Ong

you wont see anything on the ground with that full plastic belly pan underneath it!!!!!!

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

I guess you're right. I'll just have to keep an eye on the fluid level to make sure it's really not still leaking/evaporating/whatever.

--jc

Reply to
Juey Ong