2001.5 passat, dissapearing radiator fluid

I have a 2001 1/2 passat with V6 that started emiting "fog" from the air conditioning vents when the air is on. Yesterday after running the air the anti freeze in the reservoir was boiling. We made it home, but the radiator has lost a lot of its fluid. There is no leak. The temperature guage reads at normal level while operating. Also, when running the air I would get the smell of anti freeze (not continuous)

I will be taking it to the dealer, but would like your thoughts as to what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
CaptVideo

Blown heater core, possibly caused by blown head gasket, or could have just blown on its own (VW heater cores are notorious s**te.)

I hope you are under warranty as even just the heater core is not a cheap repair.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Fog from the vents is a symptom of a leaking heater core. There was recall of 94 or so model year VWs for leaking heater cores. My 95 went at 100K miles (10 years), and it was a major job to replace-- whole dash had to be pulled. But, VW covered parts and labor (original owner).

Amazing to me that after a decade of problems VWs are still having this problem.

Reply to
CSS