2001 Jetta

I'm having a little problems getting use to living with a Jetta (1.8T gls -2001) for the first time: Stick-shift takes too long to release after startup on cold days - apparently there's a recall. Mil Check light comes on after gasing up, eventually goes out. The burglar alarm come on now and then, mostly between 2 and 3 am. Now I found out that the driver's door lock up automatically, and on its own, few seconds after I unlock it with the remote control to stop the alarming racket. I dont believe this ought to be normal for I could be locked out if the remote is left inside for some reason.

Please help: Why does the car go in alarm for no reason? Is the car secure after it locks the doors on its own and the little red light is blinking again?

Thanks Emanuel

Reply to
Rufus

Yes, if you unlock the car, then don't open a door it will lock itself up again, and activate the alarm (won't go off, just the little LED on the drivers door lock)... The car will be as secure as if you hit the door lock button on your key.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Two regular problems: Loose gas cap and overfilling the tank. Stop filling when the pump first shuts off, don't top off, I believe you will find these instructions in your owner's manual.

I believe it is normal. If you unlock the door AND don't open the door it will relock. If you unlock it and open the door, it will not relock. So if it is working as intended, it would not lock you out with the key inside.

I suspect that not everything is working however, hence the alarm. My guess is a door sensor or wiring. I suggest having it checked out, unless you are good at tracing wires around and own a shop manual.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'm having a little problems getting use to living with a Jetta (1.8T gls -2001) for the first time: Stick-shift takes too long to release after startup on cool mornings - apparently there's a recall to replace the brake pedal switch. Mil Check light comes on after gasing up, eventually goes out. The burglar alarm come on now and then, mostly between 2 and 3 am. Now I found out that the driver's door lock up automatically, and on its own, few seconds after I unlock it with the remote control to stop the alarming racket. I dont believe this ought to be normal for I could be locked out if the remote is left inside for some reason.

Please help: Why does the car go in alarm for no reason? Is the car secure after it locks the doors on its own and the little red light is blinking again?

Thanks Emanuel

Reply to
Rufus

Also, if the car is locked, then you open the trunk using the fob, then re-close the trunk, the alarm will reset to the armed state. If you open a door during this, however, the alarm will disarm.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Is there a recall for this ? I have an '00 Jetta and have always had the same problem but just figured it was how it was supposed to be.

dv

Reply to
Drew Volpe