2001 Jetta 5th gear ratio

I'm looking into changing the 5th gear ratio on my 2001 Jetta. The object is to slow the engine down at highway speeds as I think it revs way to high at 65-70 mph. What is available? Has anyone done this? Thanks

Reply to
Kevin L

What are the current revs?

Reply to
Woodchuck

I can't recall as my daughter drives it more than I do, she will be around this weekend and I will drive and record mph/rpms and get back with you. I did take a look on etka and there looks like there are 3 differnent ratios available. A 36/43, 34/45 and a 27/32 gear set

Reply to
Kevin L

There are kits that let you add a sixth gear to your transmission.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

A sixth gear might be a viable option. Do you have any url's to point me to more information?

Reply to
Kevin L

Johann Koenig

about 3100rpm @ 65mph

Reply to
Kevin L

That's loafing for a VW engine.

Reply to
Woodchuck

That's not really too high.

Which engine do you have? Which transmission?

-- Racer X

1984 VW Jetta Diesel GT 1992 Mazda Miata (looks OK considering it's been hit by an 18 wheeler) 1994 Caravan (OK, maybe it's a keeper, but I still want a VW Caddy) 1995 Ford Escort (may it rest in pieces) 1983 VW Rabbit GTI (ITB racer) 1988 Mazda RX-7 (maybe for sale, make offer) 1992 GMC Topkick (portable garage for racecar[s])
Reply to
racer_x
2.0L

Not sure about trans code, car isn't here

Reply to
Kevin L