2001 Jetta TDI - battery drain

My 2001 Jetta TDI has been suffering from an overnight battery drain the past two weeks. I replaced the battery with another known good battery thinking maybe the battery was going bad, no difference (had a one year old optima red top and replaced with another standard battery - same problem). Measuring the drain I get 184 milliamps and Bentley says that 100 milliamps is normal. I removed fuses one at a time with little or no success (largest decrease was 3 milliamps and when the alarm system fuse was removed the drain increased, signifying that the alarm circuit is doing what it should). I always set the alarm when parking (setting the alarm reduces battery drain). Battery has been checked by a battery shop and found to be good, charging system checked and found to be good, alternator diodes checked and found to be good.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

You are missing some fuses I would guess. Unless you have over 60 fusses or are not getting good readings you would need over 30 3 milliamp loads to equal that 184 milliamp total.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Anything over 60ma is not good. Have you unplugged the radio & Monsoon amp if you got one!

past two weeks. I replaced the battery with another known

a one year old optima red top and replaced with another

and Bentley says that 100 milliamps is normal. I removed

milliamps and when the alarm system fuse was removed the drain

always set the alarm when parking (setting the alarm

found to be good, charging system checked and found to be

Reply to
Lost again

I haven't tried that, but wouldn't removing the radio fuse do the same thing?

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

It may not. The usually has two or more power inputs. One fused to the radio and another a part of the lighting system and maybe a third for operation of an antenna, also possibly on a different fuse.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan