2001 Jetta TDI now just a DI Turbo not working

Has anyone had problems with the Turbo Charger on their 2001 Jetta TDI ?

Is it common for the turbo to last only 50,000 miles if the schedualed maintaince is done and the car is not abused ?

Reply to
Mike

No... they should last much longer.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

What is the problem? We have replaced very few TDI turbo's and it's not because they stopped working(spinning) but rather the waste gate sticking and causing low power. Secondly it's should be covered by your power train warranty...

Reply to
Woodchuck

The problem is I expected more reliablity out of this car. Perhaps my expectations are too high.

Reply to
Mike

How do you know it's your turbo? Have you done any diagnostics on it? I have been reading this NG for almost six years and I can only recall having seen

1 mention of turbo failure. Much greater probabilities are a bad MAF, plugged fuel filter, fuel cutoff valve problem or power relay issue. Also, accept that stuff breaks sometimes. It always does, mostly at inopportune times and it sucks when it does. Shit happens. Daily, if you are lucky. :)

--TW Suffering from the confluence of broken equipment at the most inopportune time is the story of my life, particularly this week.

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

Unplugging the MAF is a poor diagnostic method as it puts the system in backup fuel mode and could mask a variety of other other problems in GM cars. Back to the TDI: even with a turbo failure, a TDI should be capable of maintaining highway speeds albeit with poor acceleration, also it should be capable of running the full RPM range. A quick trip to the parts store and about $20 would net you a pressure guage, rubber hose and a T to throw a gauge on it and find out immediately if there was no turbo function.

--TW You may have been writing the ROs but I was doing the work back then.

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

Thanks everyone for your help.

It is the Mass Air Flow sensor. I unplugged it and the power returns. The MAF is $356 US dollars, but it may be Warrenty it's going to see the dealership in a few days if it's not warrenty I will put it in myself. Dealer won't be upset either because they are so busy with coil and power window recalls.

I fix my own bicycle too.:)

Reply to
Mike