2001 Jetta Won't Start - electrical problem?

My 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0 does not start. When I turn the ignition key, nothing happens. If I hold the ignition key in the start position for a few seconds, a clicking sound can be heard from the dashboard. If I keep holding it, the clicking sound gets faster and more erratic, and the dashboard lights, clock, and odometer turn off. The clock is reset to 12:00.

A jump start does not work. There is no visible corrosion on the battery terminals, and it seems to me that it is too soon for the battery to go dead. The remote works fine to open the doors. The interior lights work, though the power windows will only work for a second, then the clicking will start.

The car has been fine all winter. Even when it was not started for weeks in very cold temperatures, it always started right up. The last time I drove the car was 10 days ago. Since then the temperature has warmed up (it is in the 50's now).

Am I looking at a bad alternator? Anything else that could be wrong? Thanks in advance for your help...

-- Dave

Reply to
DaveR

I tried leaving the car hooked up to jumper cables for about 15 minutes. This time the car started!

So, is it likely I'm looking at a bad battery, even though the car is only 3 years old? Or could it be something else?

-- Dave

Reply to
DaveR

I just replace a battery in a 2000 Passat Wagon. It was bad and lose it's charge even with it out of the vehicle. It would drop to 10 volts. :-( So yes it could be the battery but it is good to check the battery and to make sure you also don't have a drain in your system causing the battery to lose it's charge. And of course to make sure your charging system is properly doing it's job!

dave

Sounds like a bad battery with a bad cell.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Sure can. I ended up replacing the battery in my 37-month-old Jetta TDI; same symptoms. Buy an Interstate or a good Optima; don't bother stopping at the VW dealer.

sd

Reply to
sd

Thanks for the replies. Since the jump start/charge, the car has been starting on its own. So, maybe it is a bad battery after all...

The reason I did not think it was the battery is that the car has been fine all winter, and we did not drive it much. Even after sitting idle for several weeks in cold temperatures, it started right up. So I find it odd now that as the temperature gets warmer, the battery goes bad.

Are there any other potential problems that would be revealed only as the temperature warms up?

Reply to
DaveR

Had the exact same problems in my 1995 Jetta GLS (summer 2003). Got a jump start and then measured the voltage at the battery while the engine was running. It was less than 12 volts. The alternator is designed to generate

+14v and that's what I should have been measuring at the battery terminals while the engine was running.

Removed the alternator, took it to AutoZone, they tested it and it tested bad (I think it was only putting out +8vdc while spinning). Bought new alternator, way too expensive, like $260. Installed new alternator, has been running great since summer 200

Reply to
Bob F.

Actually, severe heat is harder on a battery than extreme cold. The only other VW problem that I know of that is related to heat is that sometimes the waxy weatherproofing inside the doors will ooze onto the rocker panels when it gets hotter out. But, come to think of it, I don't recall seeing that on my '03 Jetta (did on my '99.5 Jetta).

sd

Reply to
sd