2001 Passat Anti-Lock computer

Anyone experience the dreaded failure of the AB control module? The dealer wants $2500 (part) plus labor to install. I have been unsuccessful in attempts to locate a used one, any advice??? Thanks, D

Reply to
dB

When ours failed on our '98 1.8T roughly 4 yrs ago, the price was

*supposedly* just under $500 for the part (that's what was quoted on the write-up estimate). Being the cheap-assed procrastinators we were, we deferred doing anything until about 18 months ago, when the *updated* price was now an approximate $1500 for said part. Needless to say, we decided to defer again. Based on your price quote, I'm figuring that by the time we're ready to put the bloody thing in, the control module will be worth more than the value of the car, and we'll have to total the bugger instead of fixing it.

Gotta love German electronics. Then again, I'm still amazed that the replacement key fob back in '03 was $57, and the replacement one 10 MONTHS LATER for the second original that finally crapped out was $129(!). I know the dollar was being hammered against the euro, but c'mon.

Reply to
ihatespam