2001 Passat - Trans. problems?

I just put a deposit down on a 2001 Passat GLX-V6. Its has high miles, but all highway and I travel all highway about 60 miles/day. My eldest son says Passats have a really bad tranny history. Has anyone on this ng heard about this. The car is a good buy, but if there is history then I need to rethink this. Any well documented or personal history on your experience would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks Marianne

Reply to
mjelley

Never heard of any problems with the 4 and 5 speed VW automatics, and never ever anything bad about the manuals (except for worn clutches on some of the more high torque motors... this seems more like a user malfunction, as does the "crunching 3rd gear" issue a friend of mine has mentioned - he claims it's common, I think it's his shifting)... I've looked into automatic transmission failures on VW automatics, as I have a 4-speed auto in my Golf TDI, which I drive fairly hard - and never founda anything... My dealer mechanic recommends fluid changes (rather expensive, as it's synthetic fluid) at 80-100K Kms - I did mine at around 85000kms and it shifted far nicer, resetting the transmission computer is also a good idea if the car has had a previous owner - it learns your driving style and tries to adapt to how you drive... My car was a company car so it was really messed up. (About 10 different drivers).

Mines got 130K Kms, and I have a buddy with a 2000 Jetta with around 200K Kms and both are great, the Passat where I used to work was abused to hell and it's transmission was solid too.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Go to myvwlemon.com

While there are many complaints, way too many are valid.

Check out Passats. I know a few folks who had serious problems which the dealer claimed was due to driving techniques. Other cars don't have these problems.

consumer Reports rates the Passats as a really good car.

Good luck.

Reply to
Diarmud387

Could be. Passats since '98 were better built than their earlier versions and the Tiptronic automatic doesn't have any typical/known issues that I've ever heard of.

Reply to
Matt B.

Good or bad depends on if you were the one that had a trans failure? In our dealer I would say we replace about 2 per year which is very good considering how many cars we service. The 98 and up trans are very good!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I'd go with Woodchucks advice.

Reply to
Diarmud387

You all are a real help when it comes to getting answers about stuff I just don't know where else to turn. I feel much better about buying this car now that I have heard from all of you. Thank you very much for your kind assistance. Marianne

Reply to
mjelley

If possible, can you purchase an extended warranty?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Not sure about the extended warranty. This dealer sells all types of used cars and didn't mention an extend. warr. I'll ask after I get my financing put through though and thanks for the reminder. M

Reply to
mjelley