2001 VW Golf Major Service Decision HELP PLEASE!!!

Hi All,

I have a 2001 VW Golf 2.0L manual transmission with 107,000 miles. The car has performed well until this recently. I now need a new alternator, fan belt, and both o2 sensors to just drive and pass emsissions, with taxes and fees this comes in around $1,200 USD. The shop (which I've been happy with) also recommends that I do the timing belt / tensioner (as its noisy, original, and interfering when it breaks), spark plugs / wires, water pump, oil seals, coolant flushes, and the like (which have never been done) for a total cost of around $2,400 (including the alternator and o2 sensors). My question is... I think that the car in good shape is only "worth" $3,500 trade-in / $4,500 retail. Would any of you do $2,400 repairs / preventative maintenance on this kind of car (if you weren't attached to it emotionally) or would you just put the money towards a new cheap, but reliable car (from a long-term breaking even stand point).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you, lowonoptions

Reply to
lowonoptions

Yeah lowonoptions, I priced out a 028-903-028D alternator (90 amp) for a 2001 Golf at the dealer last week and found that they charge $500 for a remanufactured one with a $200 core charge. OUCH!! I told the owner of the car to buy a NEW one from ebay, like item #

130200638067, which he did and I will see later this week. The ebay one will only cost $140 shipped and saves him $360. 8^) Only takes 1 hour to change out in real time, but you might get charged 1.5 hours to switch pulleys over!

Are you sure that you need BOTH Oxygen Sensors? What are the DTCs stored in the ECM? Post them here!!!

NO the timing belt should not cause any damage if it breaks, but replacing the water pump with the timing belt is a good idea WHEN YOU NEED ONE! ;-) Your timing belt could last to about 165K miles, but if the tensioner is making noise now then it is your call!

I vote you do the repairs over several different visits or stages.

  1. Replace that alternator so the vehicle is drivable again.
  2. O2 sensors or whatever is causing that Engine Check Light to remain on.
  3. All belts (Serpentine & timing belt), tensioner, crank and cam seals and water pump, thermostat with coolant flush.

Do # 1 now and if your Serpentine belt is bad they can slap a new one on when the alternator is being replaced. then #2 after awhile but post those DTCs for us to read first.

Then before next winter do #3, or maybe next year. Now if the squealing is bad you might want to do it sooner. If you are frugal you could just do what is needed, timing belt and tensioner. Seals if they are leaking.

It might be me, but it seems like that shop might be charging you a little more than they need to. It would be better if you broke down the estimates and posted them here. ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I take it until now you spent very little $$$ on the car and some things like plugs and wires have well out lived their life. So a timing belt change at 107,000miles.... it's due. That said, do the math, the new VW at $20,000+ or $2400 now and no car payment?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

quoted text -

Thank you Dave / VWDOC1, You really know your stuff! The codes (and testing) confirmed that both o2 sensors were dead. Taking your advice, I found a much better price on the alternator and will look at the repairs in stages. Thanks again, you really helped me out! lowonoptions

Reply to
lowonoptions