2001 VW jetta brake switch problem, brake lights, stuck in park, glow plug light flashing.

2001 VW jetta tdi with cruse control. (auto trans) One way to find out if you are having a brake switch problem is to get in your car, turn key on but do not start. With Key on turn everything off so you can hear what is going on. ok now push the brake pedal while looking at the shifter, put your hand on it. Push and release pedal if it is working right you should feel and hear a click noise in the shifter. It is a safety feature witch releases a lock in the shifter so you can go to drive safely with your foot on the brake. No noise get a brake switch easy to install (for auto trans only)

The problem I was having was:

Glow plug light flashing code in computer (brake switch ckt fault). I could shift the car out of park with no key at all, it would not lock the shifter into park either. Could have gone the other way (not come out of park) Cruse control would not work properly. Because of glow plug light flashing. both brake lights blown out, a real hassle to replace!!! and the wife would not stop bugging me to get it fixed. lol

The switch is not that hard to replace if you have the right size tork socket to get the kick panel off. The switch is located on the brake pedal shaft. It is a small switch. Turn it to release the key ways, when it feels loose, pull out with some force. Install your new switch (cost me $11.00 CAD) With your new switch installed, It problem will not work right away!!! BE SURE TO DRIVE THE CAR FOR A HALF AN HOUR OR SO. IT FOOLED ME AT FIRST. TEST IT FOR A DAY IF YOU HAVE TO, IT WILL START TO WORK IF YOU FIXED THE PROBLEM. REMEMBER TO LISEN FOR THE CLICK IN THE SHIFTER.

e-mail or call Any questions you can contact me at

Laurie Osmond Halifax NS snipped-for-privacy@ns.sympatico.ca

Reply to
Laurie Osmond

Rob Guenther

I find it easier if you just look at your brake lights and see if they go off & on while pushing the brake pedal. But as you mentioned I also look at the shifter release light.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I just had the exact same symptoms w/ my 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI w/ auto transmission --> Brake switch, stuck in park, and on the way to the dealer the glow plug light flashing. The dealer replaced the brake switch under warranty and it seems fine to date (it was just fixed yesterday). One thing I found interesting was that the Automatic Shift Lock is a line item listed to be inspected at 10K miles. Mine's got 15K and I did not have the full

10K service performed, just oil and tire rotation. Anybody know...will this switch need replacing every 10-15K miles?

--marc. Chicago, IL

Reply to
MS

Don't be surprised if you have to replace it more than once. It is a poor design and has not been updated to my knowledge.

Reply to
Laurie Osmond