2002 Jetta 2.0 Burning Oil?

My 2.0L '02 Jetta GLS with 23k miles seems to be down about a 1/2 quart of oil (Mobil 1) for every 1000-2000 miles. There are no signs of leaks on the garage floor, etc... Also I seem to be hearing a slight "ticking" noise from the engine while it is idling... I think the ticking is either a lifter.. or the belt tensioner.. but can't be too sure. The car runs great and has no other issues.

Anyway, I'd like to have this stuff checked under warranty.. is there anything in particular I should ask the dealer to check when I take it in?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave Cobb

Dave.

Car makers all have different criteria of how much oil consumption is too much. Some better or worse then others. None of them are willing replace engines for oil burning. As I recall ford is the worse but I could be wrong. I think your fighting a loosing battle unless it gets more then twice as bad as it is. Your right, it should not burn oil at all. My 93 Eurovan and 99.5 jetta tdi both have over 100k miles and use no oil. I use 5w-40 synthetic in both. Last I recall was around a quart every 700 miles was the figure considered excessive and I know that reeks! Before going to the dealer read the owners manual and see what you can find. My son's 92 jetta gl with 130k miles uses about the same amount of oil as yours does.

Good luck JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Stating the engine uses a 1/2 quart in 1000 or 2000 miles isn't very accurate information. Doing the math that comes out to 1 quart in 2000 or

4000 miles, which then would be considered acceptable by VW standards. So... what's a owner to do? Well the next time you need a oil change have the dealer do a oil consumption test which warranty will pay for. But basically what happens is the dealer changes the oil, you keep checking the oil level and bring the car back in when it's a quart low. As for the ticking, are you sure it's not just the injectors working?
Reply to
Woodchuck

Dave,

See VW TSB C17-01-01. If possible, you could always start the test at a VW dealer, and then visit your local marina to purchase an inboard engine oil extractor...

Good luck - I don't think modern engines should burn this much oil.

Andrew

Reply to
AH

I was also curious if I should thell them that I was using Mobil 1 Synthetic

5-30... they might say... "that's not an approved oil.. yadda yadda... your SOL"
Reply to
Dave Cobb

Where di I find the TSB ? Thanks!

Reply to
Dave Cobb

Got it AH... Thanks!

Reply to
Dave Cobb

Mobil 1 exceeded the factory spec! Should not be an issue!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Gee, sounds like you want the owner to cheat by removing oil just to get engine work done! Aren't ALL VW owners honest when they visit the dealer?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Woodchuck,

This is not aimed at you as I have read many of your knowledgeable replies helping many listers in the past. If you are a dealership owner, you are an exception.

I do not believe VW dealers are always forthcoming, honest, helpful, and act on behalf of the customer.

What comes around goes around.

Reply to
AH

Our 2002 Jetta 2.0 does the same with respect to oil and also has the tick. I thought it was a lifter but the tech at the dealer said he could not hear it. Ours is a made in Germany station wagon. Yours?

Reply to
Michael Pearlman

That doesnt just apply to VW dealers, in fact, IMHO, it applies to pretty much any brand of auto. Some dealers will be great, others will be lousy.

Reply to
Biz

Mine is the regular GLS sedan, made in Mexico.

Reply to
Dave Cobb

It is my perception that dealers are generally quite eager to do warranty work as it is extra income for them, but service reps are often too stupid (about modern auto mechanics) to order the proper tests or repairs... Thus my experience is that you should get as much insider information as possible before you make the dreaded visit to the service department and waste hours of your precious time.

Reply to
Dave Cobb

My 99.5 burns a quart every 1000 to 1500. My last car (90 Fox) didn't do that, but I can handle putting a $4 bottle of oil in every few months, so I guess I'll live with it. As for the ticking, both my Fox and the Jetta did that from day 1, and nothing ever came of it. The Fox lasted 12 years and 150000+ miles without need of any major engine work and the Jetta is at 5 (knock wood). I think it's just the way VW engines are.

...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust