2002 Jetta TDI Glow Plug replacement

I recently posted a glow plug replacement problem and got some very helpful advice about how to go about it. However, when I finally got bellow the rubber tubing to the glow plugs I found that I could not rotate my 10mm wrench around the plugs. In fact, I could only fit the wrench on one of the 4 plugs. Two are placed directly behind the fuel pump and one is behind some sort of plastic pump that is shaped like a tennis ball. I was wondering if I am going to have to remove both these parts to do the job?

Reply to
lurod

The solution to my problem was to simply get a deep socket wrench. This made me feel pretty dumb and now I have a new problem. the engine will not turn over. Before when I would try to crank it, lots of white smoke would come out of the back. This no longer occurs. I wonder if maybe my rubber tube that covers the plugs is not properly installed. Can anyone tell me how I can check if that is the problem. Or maybe can comeone just tell me how it is supposed to be replaced properly. When I did it I just pushed down on the tubing till I heard the click.

Reply to
lurod

I have not worked on a TDI, but on older diesels there is a large glow plug fuse on the firewall, and also a glow plug relay under dash. Are you sure these are okay? I had a fuse and relay go well before the glow plugs themselves needed replacing. Again, this was on a non-TDI.

Reply to
Tony Bad