2002 Passat Remote Key working intermittently

Hello - On my 2002 passat the remote key has a fresh battery on always flashes red blinking light when you press a button. The only way it will unlock lock or open trunk is when it is right against the driver's side door glass aimed at the floor in front of the driver's seat. I read that this is where the control unit is - Do anyone know what the issue might be? Thanks in advance.. Scott

Reply to
scottcleveland

Some SWAGs:

Dirty battery and/or pushbutton contacts. Sun-film on your windows with a metallic content (reflective or very dark blue). Is this location-specific? Could there be some form of interference? Try holding the button down for one full second. Do you have a spare key? Does it do the same thing? A friend once took his keys (Mercedes & BMW-typs) too close to an MRI... Wiped them out clean. My son-in-law took my Mercedes remote (some 3-1/2 years ago) right next to a high-resolution ultra-sound machine. After that, it would lock but not open.

Good luck. Some cars let all hell break loose if the door is opened with the key after being locked with the remote. I hope yours is not this way.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I have the same problem, also with a 2002 Passat. I bought it in December. The original owner said he thought it was because the battery was weak. I bought a battery at the dealer. I knew I'd overpay, $8 each for two remotes. But I paid it to learn how to open it and to learn the battery type. Now I know it's a common battery. Anyway, the new batteries aren't really any better in either remote. This is really annoying. My kids keep asking me to open the doors, and I tell them I've already clicked 100 times before they start complaining. I have to work on my kids' courtesy, too, but that's for another newsgroup.

Hey, does anyone know how to defeat the autolock feature? When I hit

10 mph, the doors lock. I don't want that.

Tom Reingold Noo Joizy

Reply to
Tom Reingold