2002 Passat V6 Overheating?

So the engine heats up to 200f+, the STOP warning comes on the dashboard, it says pull over and fill the coolant. So I check: the coolant if full, the fans are working, I wait 20 minutes and take off. Ten minutes later it happens again. What is up?

Reply to
dogwud

How are you checking the coolant level? If you are looking at the overflow tank, that does not do it. You need to check inside the radiator. Don't do this when the car is hot!!!

Is the fan running on the radiator when you stop if you don't turn off the engine? If not, that may be your problem.

Does it happen all the time or only on occasion? How often, what conditions? How many miles? Have you had the coolant changed, I believe it is past due, check your owner's manual for specifics.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Water pump! How many miles on the car?

Reply to
Woodchuck
68,000 miles. Water pump sounds possible.
Reply to
dogwud
68,000 miles on the car. How do I check the radiator. The engine is the V6 30V and it is all covered with shields. The fan runs when the engine is on, but stops when the engine/ignition is off. It happened for the first time today after about 20 miles, rural driving, no highway.
Reply to
dogwud

That opens up the possibility of a water pump problem.

Sorry, since I don't have a Passat I could only guess.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you do the water pump spend the extra $$$$ and replace the timing belt too.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I'm not sure you can. I've yet to see a VAG car that had access other than the overflow tank.

Might not be a DIY problem or fix. Could be water pump or thermostat is stuck (although a stuck thermostat usually would cause the engine to overheat but prevent water from getting to the radiator so the radiator usually isn't hot enough to trigger the fans and you're saying the fans are running so I'm kinda doubting the thermostat).

If it's under warranty just let VW deal with it.

Reply to
Matt B.

are Passat V6s a belt or a chain?

Reply to
Matt B.

Belt

Reply to
Iain Miller

"dogwud" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Just had this a few weeks ago on a 2000 Passat V6 wagon with 80,000 miles, heading up the interstate, stopped at a rest stop, as I pulled away the temp suddenly zoomed. I shut it down, wait, restart, the temp is at normal level, but if i drive it zooms again within a mile. There was coolant in the overflow, but AFAIK there's no way to actually look in the radiator, it's a sealed system.

I nursed it to a dealer about 15 miles away and left it there (this was Saturday) and my wife came and got me. Turned out it was the water pump, it was covered under the 100K drivetrain warranty, and they swapped the timing belt at the same time under the warranty. (I was expecting to pay for the price of the part) But it was another full Saturday driving the 240 mile roundtrip to retrieve the car.

Reply to
mike

No answer. The dealer suggested I have it towed in (15 miles, $90) They looked closely, changed the timing belt, couldn't find anything wrong with the water pump, tested system under pressure and could find no leak. "Maybe there was air in the system that caused the problem!?!" Changed the oil and charged me $600+ No warranty. What the *&%&!?

Reply to
dogwud

Hmmm... first of all, if you live in the US, AAA Plus costs but $80 per year and gives you 100 miles of free towing. Believe me, it's worth the expense! Second, you paid a danged dealer $600 to change the oil and the timing belt? Brother, they saw you coming! Now, I understand. It's a realatively new car but damn! You need to find a guy like I found. A VW factory trained mechanic who now works for himself. He's good, he's fast and he's reasonable in his prices. Check the Yellow Pages.

Reply to
Jon

$600 sounds about correct considering it's about 5 hours job according to VW suggested time. But, not to find why it over heated I'm puzzled. Cooling systems just don't get "air" in them to cause the problem you have. Look at you bill and post the part numbers charged out.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Did you just have a service that involved flushing the cooling system or something? Cause like Woodchuck said, you don't just get air in the cooling system unless someone emptied and replaced and caused an air bubble.

Also, I think you got ripped, cause until the dealer found out I was original owner, he quoted me $700 for labor, water pump and timing belt. (the belt's what, an $80 part?) So for you to pay $600 without the pump is pretty high. Well, maybe it was $100 oil change.:(

"Woodchuck" wrote in news:9895$42381c3d$41c7134b$ snipped-for-privacy@SALSGIVER.COM:

Reply to
mike

Here is the invoice detail: Check engine faults, for overheating, engine is not overheating, found no problems, guage working properly

9561CPVWA $61.50

Replace timing belt on new body Passat 6 cylinder engine.

9561CPMVW $264.OO 1 078-109-244-H ROLLER - 81.83 1 078-109-243-R ROLLER - 99.90 1 078-109-119-J TOOTH BELT - 110.92

PERFORM OIL CHANGE, ETC.

9561CPMVW 10.83 1 178-115-561-J OIL FILTER - 13.62 1 N-013-849-3 WASHER - 0.50 (I don't see a charge for the oil)

Total Labor: 336.33 Total Parts: 306.62 Tax: 38

Pay: 683.53

But they washed it for free!

Reply to
dogwud