2003 1.8T questions

Good Morning, all.

Yesterday, I replaced the air filter on my 2003 1.8T for the first time.

I noticed that the original filter looked a bit strange. It was the usual pleated paper sort, but it also had a pad of what looked like spun fiber glued to the bottom.

The replacement filter does not have this.

My question is, what is the purpose of this "pad" ? is it some kind of pre-filter?

Is it a concern that the replacement filter does not have it?

Thanks!

Reply to
Eradicate Sampson

Maybe it sucked in a used sanitary towel !!! ;)

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

VW used them off and on in new cars, mostly off as I have only seen a few cars with them. I think VW calls them extended use filters and there may even be a listing on the parts screen. Personally I would just use the popular standard and change it every 20,000 miles.

Reply to
Woodchuck