2003 Eurovan - drivers side door handle

Hello - the outside driver side door handle on our 03 Westfalia has decided to stop working. You can open the door from the inside, the power locks work, however nothing happens when trying the outside handle. Any assistance on how to fix this is greatly appreciated. We've had problems with the sliding door in the past that turned out to be a fuse, however I don't understand why it's only the outside handle that doesn't work here, unless it's something mechanical.

Much appreciation in advance for any insight.

And Happy Everything to Everybody!

Reply to
Joel Spencer

Joel:

Our '99 Eurovan Winnebago displays the same behavior if the key is used on the slider vs. either of the two front doors. We can clear it by hand-locking it, then cycling the key-lock three or four times.

We also have a child-safety lever on ours that if flipped prevents releasing the door from the inside. If it is flipped, then the key is used from the outside the fun really begins as it may not function either way for a while.

We have learned to be acutely sensitive to when/where we use the key to

*unlock*. We have never had any difficulty if all/any doors are unocked from the inside in any order.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

it is totally possible...the inside handle and outside handle are two different handles so either can fail independently of one another.

you'll have to remove the outside handle and see if anything is stuck or broken and go from there.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thank you for the replies - you were spot on, it was two screws to remove the outside door handle and inside was a broken lever that serves as the latch.

The fix was easy - I took the beloved vehicle in on Christmas Eve and traded it in. We were probably at the max of the resale value, and hey when the door handles start to go, well....

The vehicle kept 2/3 of its new sale value over 4 model years. I'm assuming that's pretty fair. A fantastic investment, the best kid's vehicle ever made (and why VW didn't take on the minivan market with it just boggles), a sound vehicle, fun to drive, and the bread truck perspective is an advantage!

Sad to see it go. Goddammed door handles.

Reply to
Joel Spencer

I do hope it was more than a broken door handle in your decision...

Reply to
Matt B.