2003 Golf GLS automatic transmission problem

Hi all, I need your advise. My Golf's transmission acts strangely. Only on the cold engine, when I start the car, put the transmission on D, the car doesn't engage until several seconds. Then it engaged with a push. If I am parked and first engage to Reverse, then when I switch to Drive the car continues to roll back for 5-7 seconds, and then engages to Drive. I stopped at at a VW service center and they said I need to leave a car for the whole day. They need to wait until it cools off. Do I have to worry about it or it is notmal? When the engine is warm, I don't experience that at all.

Thanks in advance!

Stan

Reply to
Suslikovich

First off I'd check the transmission's oil level

Ken

Reply to
Ken (the sane one)

yep. have them check the fluid level.

however, the fluid level should never be low unless there's a leak so if it is low, they need to check for leaks too.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
none2u

Thanks everyone very much! I will definitely go and check fluid level.

Regards, Stan

n> Sounds like a leak, and sounds like they want to check the pump pressure > cold.

Reply to
Suslikovich

Strange as it sounds, you may want to spend $13.00 or so dollars at the dealer and get a new brake light switch, with instructions (dont' push in the plunger). it takes about 20 minutes to install if you are slow. They are a significant problem even after redesigns. We've replaced 3 on a 01 Jetta. I believe the switch is the same for your car.

Good luck.

Reply to
Diarmud387

This might be true and is probably the answer. However it's a good idea to have the fluid level and pressure checked.

Reply to
Peter Parker