2003 Jetta TDI crank but won't start after short drive

Twice in the last week I drive my car a few blocks turn it off to run an errand, and then the car won't start up again. It just cranks.

VW supposedly replaced a sensor about 2 months ago.

Has this happened to anyone else recently? I have about 11000 miles on the car.

I am taking the car back to VW on Monday but would like to have something to tell them.

Thanks for any information.

Reply to
Numan

It is fairly common for things like crank sensors to crap out when they get hot & then work fine after about 30mins once they cool off a bit.

Reply to
CanadianCray

Does this cause a trouble code for them to find?

Reply to
Numan

Common, I haven't replaced one in years! I'm sure your dealer can figure the issue out... given time.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I didn't say it was common in that model of car. Those are just some symptoms that crank sensors give. They will usually not set a code in most automotive computers because once the car does start the computer sees no problem & the code is erased. The only time there will be a code is when the problem is occurring.

Reply to
CanadianCray

I guess that means it doesn't happen then!!

Reply to
CanadianCray

Never say never, especially with a VW.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Not to any of my VWs.

Reply to
Peter Parker

No crank sensor replacement on my VWs, yet. :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Took my car to VW this morning. 3 Techs out sick so I have to reschedule for next Wednesday. Damn!

I asked him if someone could show me where the anti-shudder valve is because I have been told and have read several posts on TDICLUB.com about it. That way I can hit it, flip it, or whatever to unseat it so the car will start next time. He said I don't have one. Double Damn!

I also asked if I was supposed to change the oil in my TDI Jetta every 10,000 miles like VW says or go with the sticker they put in my windshield last time. He said that VW says you can go 10,000 miles but that you really should go with every 5. Triple Damn!

Who is right and who is wrong? I know there are people here that are VERY knowledgeable when it comes to these matters.

Numan

Reply to
Numan

I changed my oil every 10,000 miles or so, sometimes longer in other cars with no ill effects. OK, my truck only has 267,000 miles on it and no visible ridge and nothing you can feel with a fingernail. My Rabbit had about the same mileage and looked the same. My 2003 TDI goes with the printed interval of 10,000 miles using Delvac 1. If you drive lots of short trips of less than 10 miles then changing the oil sooner might make sense. What does your oil anaylsis company say when you sent in your sample?

What does the vagcom show if anything?

Maybe a bad relay?

Jim B.

Reply to