2003 Passat GLS and gas grade question

Hi.

Does anyone know if Regular gasoline Can be used?

I've tried both Plus and Premium grade gasolines and found that while Plus works fine, Premium Does make the engine run smoother and quicker.

Price for Premium grade gas in New England is still around $1.79/gallon.

Is it worth just using Plus grade gas then flushing out the system with Premium grade gas once a month??

Thanks.

Mz

Reply to
Mz

The onboard computer will adapt to running on lower grade fuel, but mileage and performance will suffer a bit. If it says use premium, USE IT. Your car was designed to run with it, not to work around you not using it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Around here the price between 87 and 92 octane is 20 cents/gal or about $3.20 if the tank was bone dry! I'm sure you can find an extra $3 when filling the tank. Hell even a draft beer cost more than that were I live! Gas is gas and "flushing" has nothing to do with it... the engine like premium fuel.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Here's something I've never tried but I've been wondering since I got my Passat...

The manual says the 1.8T likes 91 octane. The fuel in the northeast US is predominantly 89 and 93. What happens if I put in half a tank of 93 and half a tank of 89?

Reply to
Juey Ong

Reply to
Tim Burr

I suppose it would work. Is it really worth the trouble?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Guess why I've never tried it. :-)

In theory, I guess it's not too hard to top up a full tank of 93, and then alternately top up with 89 and 93 each time you hit half a tank. That way, you'll never end up with at least 89 or at best 93 even if you forget to alternate.

But living in the city, I also don't drive often enough to make the cost savings worth the mental effort.

--jc

Reply to
Juey Ong