2003 US Passat: metric display

is there a way to switch the outside temp display to metric/celsius?

it'd be nice to have the entire thing switchable to metric, like some GM cars have, but there's just the tiny "km/h" inner markings on the speedo.

Reply to
Joon

Is your temp. display part of a MFA or part of a Climatronic? If part of the Climatronic, on my Eurovan I just press and hold the AUTO and ECON buttons for a few seconds (I think that's what it was...my memory's a little fuzzy on that one) and it will toggle between F and C.

Reply to
Matt B.

In article Joon writes: $it'd be nice to have the entire thing switchable to metric, like some $GM cars have, but there's just the tiny "km/h" inner markings on the $speedo.

You're lucky. For some stupid reason, Audi decided not to put mph AT ALL on the speedometer of my 2001 A4. Here in Canada, of course, we measure speed in km/h, so that's what the speedometer says, but I don't think I've ever seen a car that didn't also have at least a few mph markings. My 1990 Mazda Protege had a quite usable set of mph markings. My 1996 Nissan Altima only had ever 20 mph marked, but at least it was something; it's not difficult to judge that you're roughly 3/4 of the way from 40 to 60 (i.e. at around 55 mph). The A4 makes you do the conversion in your head.

Do they think nobody ever drives across the border? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And the really silly thing is that the climate control system can easily be switched between metric and Imperial measurements; the manual says what the procedure is. Why provide that and then not provide the much more important speedometer markings?

Reply to
Hi Ho Silver

Volvo's (at least the older ones, but I don't think the new ones do) in Canada don't have the MPH markings either, they use the same gauge cluster as the European models, where with the exception of Britain they measure speed in KPH, Audi must also do this as it would save money to not have to make another cluster design for Kph/Mph

Reply to
Rob Guenther