2003 VR6 ENGINE FAILURE

My 2003 VR6 engine failed on the expressway last week. The stop engine light came on and then the engine blew up sending a rod through the side of the engine block. What are all the reasons that this could happen? My car and I do not live in the same country and I had the oil changed when I left back in Jan 06. Since then a friend drives it from time to time and on this unfortunate occassion. So I know its not great to let 9 months go by and not change your oil but can that cause engine failure? The oil might have been dirty but isn't it sealed in there unless there was a leak or it was burning oil? Also, what is the warning light protocol? Why would there only be a warning seconds before a major engine failure? Also is there any connection between this and the electrical system? I have had an issue with the stop engine light coming on in the past and it was related to sensor failures I believe but it was an computer issue not an actual engine issue. Any insights would help me figure out why this car in relatively great shape would suffer such a catastrophic event.

Reply to
truman956

lack of lubrication is one cause!

good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Jett81

That's why you don't let friends drive your car... 'things happen'. When someone gets a free car (like your friend) their interest in keeping it running is minimal. I'd guess the odds are about equal: either the oil pump failed, or it 'ran out of oil' because your friend didn't properly service the car.

Sometimes mechanical failures happen. Since you were not in the vehicle, you only have your friend's story on what happened. As to the time between light going on, and failure it is hard to say. Quite probably he didn't notice it until after it had been on for a while? Maybe he thought he could get to the next exit?

Reply to
PeterD

It's a Volkswagon. That should be enough reason for ya.

I'll bet it exploded just past the warranty period. Volkswagons have an uncanny ability to know when your warranty is up and that's when total rigormortis sets in.

Reply to
wonker

In order of likelihood:

  1. Over-revving the engine.
  2. Not keeping the proper oil level.
  3. God only knows what else -- only your "friend" could tell you.

It's not impossible that in nine months' time, enough oil could burn or leak out of the engine to cause oil starvation, and coupled with a few trips to beyond redline, a couple of bearings could seize and send a rod through the crankcase.

A thrown rod is evidence of misuse or neglect 99% of the time. If it was oil starvation, it wouldn't be odd for the warning light to come on only seconds before the wreck, if it was caused by over-revving. It wouldn't be strange for the light not to come on at all, under those circumstances.

Reply to
Brian Running

when was the oil level last checked? Usually a failure like the rod coming out is due to "little oil"

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I take it you had a bad experience with your VW? Care to share?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
none2u

The oil level needs to be checked (and changed) regularly, as well as the level of other fluids. Otherwise, the engine is at risk. All engines will eventually get low on oil even if they don't leak. Running an engine with insufficient oil will certainly lead to its destruction.

Another possibility, your friend may have driven it wildly, allowing it to overheat. Again, goodbye engine.

On the other hand, if your car has an "interference" engine, then the timing belt may have broken or slipped. This would allow a collision between the valves and the pistons and destroy the engine.

Reply to
Papa

FWIW, a friend of my son's had a 99 Jetta VR6 and he hit a pothole or metal plate (Houston TX is littered with them) and it knocked a hole in the oil pan. He and my son replaced the pan themselves and the dealer parts guy said they sell quite few VR6 pans in Houston. The suggests to me that the VR6 oil pan is especially susceptible to physical damage. Perhaps that's what happened to your friend.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

Take out the CAT to reply by email

Reply to
William Maslin

I neglected to mention that if the pan was punctured, your collision insurance may pay for the engine replacement.

Reply to
William Maslin