2004 Passat Brake light Mystery

I have a 2004 Passat four door sedan with the four cylinder engine. The brake lights (both tail light units and the rear window light) stayed on when I shut the car down tonight and removed the key. I tried everything, pumping the brake pedal, shutting the ignition on and off, starting and shutting down the engine. No matter what, the three lights stay on. When I removed the fuse from the Emergency Blinkers, the lights finally went off. I replaced the fuse everything worked normally but in a short drive the problem reoccurred. Anyone experience this before? Any input appreciated.

Reply to
Joe Viola

Time for a new brake light switch.

Reply to
Madesio

Exactly. I had that happen when my '05 Passat was about a year old. I couldn't figure out why the cruise control quit working. I took me a while to figure it out (where I normally park, I don't walk around the back of the car). Then somebody at work that drove in behind me told me the lights were on. Replaced the switch and it's been working fine.

Dodd Martin

Reply to
Dodd Martin

the brake light switch recall "may" apply to your year Passat also, but I think it affects all other VWs. :-(

Should be a quick job to replace the switch yourself though. ;-) There should be a recall on the Passat switch also!

JMHO dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1