2006 Passat Transmission Troubles???

I bought a new 2006 Passat 2.0T back in May of 2006. For the most part it is a wonderful car. It rides a little noisy, but I corrected that slightly by reducing the pressure in the tires to the normal 33 psi rather than the 39 psi the dealer had put in. Anyway, that's not really why I'm writing this posting. Lately what I have noticed is that there are some strange things happening with the transmission.

I sit in a lot of traffic. This means the car is constantly going from

1st gear to 2nd gear and back again (yes traffic is that bad in the Philly burbs). Here's the weird thing. When the car is in 2nd gear and I take my foot off the gas and then back on again quickly, I hear a clunk. It does it just about every time. I've taken it to the dealer and they say the transmission is operating normally, but I have a tough time believing them. I've never owned a 4-cylinder car before, or a foreign car for that matter, let alone one with a 6-speed transmission. Is this kind of behavior normal with this type of car? Should I take it back to the dealer until they figure out what is going on? They say they can't seem to recreate the problem, which I hear a lot from dealers these days. I'm actually just hoping that the car is ok and that it is just I'm not used to this kind of car. Any help or advice from anyone out there would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Reply to
rob

take it to the dealer and ride with the tech to show him the issue. but from the sounds of it you may just be catching the trans in between gears or as it shifts from gear to gear.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I notice that the VWs, esp. 4 cyls, usually give you SOLID shifts with the automatics. Not plush or un-noticeable shifts like some other vehicles unless you accelerate at WOT.

Try driving another similar Passat to see if it feels the same as yours!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If it shifts smoothly check your mounts.

Reply to
Rabbit TDi

check the mounts for what? it's a 2006... and they shouldn't show signs of wear until well over 80k miles.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

If that's what you want to believe. Apparently the ATF is life long and so is the coolant...and the timing belt isn't supposed to snap at 30K either.

Some cars have issues. Check you mounts for damage..like cracks or abnormal wear?

Reply to
Rabbit TDi

Thanks to all for writing some replies with advice. I think I will take the advice to take the car back to the dealer and have a tech go for a ride with me. The car only has 3000 miles on it so I have a hard time believing it could be the engine mounts, but who knows. The sound it is making is very specific to the gear it is in and very easy to reproduce. I'm surprised the dealer couldn't reproduce it when I took it in the first time over this, but then again sometimes they don't listen to how to recreate a problem. They simply said the transmission was functioning normally and gave me the car back. I don't know if they will let me test drive another Passat, but that may be worth a try also just to see.

Thanks again for all the help. If anyone can think of anything else, or has experience with the 2006 Passat, please do not hesitate to write.

Thanks.

Reply to
rob

try another dealer! AND test drive another vehicle similar to yours!

----- Original Message ----- From:

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Check with your dealer, as there is a bulletin which may apply to your car/issue.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Just thought I would report back some results here. I took the car into the dealership this morning and drove a tech around. We then compared the car to some in-stock Passats that they had. All made the same noise. However, my car was out of date on the transmission software, so they upgraded the software level in the transmission module just in case that has some recent fixes. So, given that it is recreatable in other cars I would say that the dealership is correct that this is something normal with the new Passats, as odd as that sounds. I guess every car has its little quirks. At least I can feel better that I'm not damaging anything by driving it.

Thanks for everyone's help. I hope I can contribute in the future to other people's questions.

Reply to
rob

thanks for the final info!

Reply to