3 odd bolts on '81 AC compressor

This is an '81 Scirocco. There are 3 bolts that attach the pulley free-spinner (or whatever it's called) to the compressor body. I haven't had a belt on the AC for decades, but somehow those 3 bolts have vibrated loose and all three are gone, leaving the pulley thingy vibrating loudly and threatening to cut a wire. Does anyone know what size these bolts are? They were clearly very short - no more than 12mm long. The diameter is in between an M6 and M8. They have what looks like a 1.25 thread pitch like an M8. I can screw in a coarse thread 1/2" american standard bolt, but it's a bit loose and I'd be afraid to tighten it much.

thx, nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

Jim Behning

Just remove the a/c compressor.

Reply to
Craig

better yet. Just sell me the car. I have an 81 & could always use another.

Reply to
Craig

As followup to an unanswered question I posted last month, the answer is that the 4 bolts (not 3) holding the clutch pulley to the compressor actually ARE US standard 1/2" coarse thread bolts. Strange, since this is a German-built car.

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

Strange. For some reason I am just now seeing these message in my news reader.

Sounds like the German Sciroccos were shipped to U.S. without a/c.

Removing compressor: the alternator bracket attaches to the compressor. Removal requires finding a bracket from a no-a/c car not common in SoCalif.

Selling the car: note location, make offer. This is a Scirocco S, anthracite gray. Ripoff insurance company replaced dash with aftermarket non-S dash after stereo theft, now cracked. Left front fender dented. Driver seat very worn.

Thanks for replies.

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst