$435.00 Quote for Timing belt, tensioner to be replaced

I was quoted a price of $435.00 for the replacement of the timing belt and a tensioner. This was quoted by a dealer in the Rhode Island area. Do you guys/girls thing that is a fair price or should I shop around. Is this a job an independent could do or should I stick with the VW dealer?

Reply to
AlanH70

Its not out of line, the independent vw places around here been charging 500 bucks for years

Reply to
verndog

I saw the invoice from the 60K Kms service on my car (it was paid for by the company I used to work for, before I bought that car from them) and the timing belt, tensioner, and new waterpump was something like 600 bucks Canadian with labour and tax... They also did all the fluids, 4 new tires, a complete proffesional detailing, and a checkover of the turbo system at

Reply to
Rob Guenther

That's a deal. My TDI belt & tensioner change was over $600 at the dealer.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Reply to
Rob Guenther

No water pump, just the belt and tensioner.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer