50mph @ 3000rpm (5th gear)?

Well, we've had this 86 GTI for a while, normally my son drives it but today my car was in the shop so I drove it to work.

I was @3000rpm in 5th gear doing 50mph on the expressway. Does that sound right? (my 944 does 80mph@3000rpm in 5th)

Just seems like a high rev for economy gear ???

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

It's the "GTI" gearing and later a2 platform cars (91-92) adapted this ratio as the standard. It was for performance, not economy! The 85-92 diesels had the same changes and it really cut back on the mpg's. If you have a Bently for your car there is a chart showing all the different gear ratios and final drives available throughout the model run in the different years. Seems like they changed something every year.

Joe R

Reply to
Joe R

Sounds high compared to my '91, which turns about 3000rpm at *60* mph, not

  1. But as someone pointed out...gear ratios may have changed from year to year. I recall Neuspeed many years ago selling a 5th gear conversion kit to lower the revs in 5th, probably for the very reason that you're noting.

Reply to
Matt B.

It's a GTI - they're supposed to scream.

My '86 Jetta GL is going 80 klicks at 3000 RPM in 4th, and 110 at 3000 RPM in 5th. Nice on the freeway...

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..." ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Reply to
Laura Halliday

|Well, we've had this 86 GTI for a while, normally my son drives it but today |my car was in the shop so I drove it to work. | |I was @3000rpm in 5th gear doing 50mph on the expressway. |Does that sound right? (my 944 does 80mph@3000rpm in 5th) | |Just seems like a high rev for economy gear ???

Enjoy the close ration transmission! For the other end of that spectrum, drive a Honda CRX HF - 68 mph = 2000 RPM Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
Dave McLaren

fpharryc wrote: : You have an automatic, right? I actually enjoy the high RPM with my 90 Jetta : GL on highway, the 100 HP feels like 200! Can't beat that.

Automatic? Me? nope... 5speed... I'm gonna have to bring the GPS in the car tomorrow to see..

I wonder if this means when my son got his ticket for doing 57mph in a 35mph zone, he wasn't as guilty as I thought????

Na, I bet he was...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

They were geared for approximately 32km/h per 1000revs.

3 x 32 = 96km/h = 60mph

Reply to
Ernest

Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote: : fpharryc wrote: : : You have an automatic, right? I actually enjoy the high RPM with my 90 Jetta : : GL on highway, the 100 HP feels like 200! Can't beat that.

: Automatic? Me? nope... 5speed... I'm gonna have to bring the GPS in the : car tomorrow to see..

Never made the next trip, when I got home from work the coolant was "missing".

Turned out the upper hose went, I think it was my fault though, the guy said it was "trim to fit" and I just kinda bent it a bit and didn't trim at all so I think I may have added a pressure point it didn't need, only ruptured at pressure, not normally, (or maybe just a slow leak). Got a new hose yesterday and it's on my list for projects for tomorrow. this time I'll trim it instead of bend it. : I wonder if this means when my son got his ticket for doing 57mph in a 35mph : zone, he wasn't as guilty as I thought????

: Na, I bet he was...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

That's odd, my '86 GTI is doing about 73mph at 3000 rpm. And it averages right at 33 mpg.

I've seen other threads of extremely different gear vs. speed reports.

Is it probable that mine was regeared at some point? I normally shift into

5th at about 55-60 and the rpm's are about 3800 and drop to just under 2800 after the shift.

I do have factory size wheels and tires, so no changes there.

MrEddy

Reply to
MrEddy

Reply to