'77 Rabbit Fuel Pump Relay help

I've got a '77 Rabbit, and the fuel pump relay is mounted on the top of the fuse box, which has wires extended from the center of the fuse box (where the fuel pump relay would usually go).

I found not find this documented in the Bentley manual (for those years), nor in any other place.

I've figured out that the Black/Green wire to the fuel pump comes from the back of the relay mounted on the top of the fuse box.

And the Black/Green wire to the fuse box (pin A8) is actually cut.

Question is, why was this done? Was it done at the factory? And what changes were made?

I'm having trouble determining why the fuel pump won't run through the relay, but it runs fine if I power the pump directly (connect the Black/Green wire to hot). I assume it could be a faulty sensor or bad connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

- Drk421

Reply to
drk 421

That was a factory recall because the fuse panel couldn't handle the amp draw of the pump. That relay has numbers markings on the back. What are they? But you should have something like

ground, power all the time, power with key on, signal from coil-which turns relay on, and power feed for pump. The coil signal is nothing more than a RPM which the relay uses to know the engine is cranking over. Also on some it was how RPM was limited on the high side.

Reply to
Woodchuck